A realtor in Austin, TX, asked me to come up with a wish list for the kind of property I’d be willing to live in. To make his job easier, here’s what I came up.
1. hardwood throughout (or through most of the apartment). Please no laminate or linoleum except if it’s done for kitsch value.
2. minimal interaction with neighbors/sharing minimum walls w/ crazy people who blast their music or who have screaming infants or kids or DOGS (I like dogs but I don’t like barking)
3. lots of sunlight
4. fairly close to grocery stores, restaurants, etc. I like to walk/bike.
5. nowhere near UT-Austin, which means nothing within at least a 4-mile radius of campus, unless it’s absolutely amazing
6. preferably Hyde Park or Travis Heights or some woodsy neighborhood, tho downtown is also fine (hah)
7. if built before 1950, then unit must have been updated within the last few years to reflect the early 2000s.
8. not opposed to a brand-new structure so long as it has some character and is not infested with students
9. duplex or four-plex is great
10. I have a very high aesthetic having come from NYC, where I lived for 25 years. Please keep this in mind when showing me anything. (I’m not a snob, but I am very particular about my surroundings.)
11. preferred price between $1,000 and $1,400. I’ll pay a little more if it’s an amazing property, though, and I fall in love with it.
12. fully or partially furnished would be great, though I’m sure difficult to find.
13. I do not need a pool or a gated whatever or access to a gym or any amenities other than hot and cold water, gas stove, etc. Yes, I prefer gas.
14. I don’t need bells or whistles but I also don’t wanna live in Le Dump off Speedway.
Here you will find assorted musings ranging from writing ventures, full disclosures, confessions, outpourings of truths and much much more. Gossip included. So stick around. You never know what you're going to miss...